My movie review of Star Wars Rogue One (if you have not watched this, stop reading… There may be some spoilers! )
The movie was good but not as good as the Force Awakens. And here’s why, in my own opinion:
1. I was a little bit confused in the first segment of the movie where the scenes made the viewers jump from one planet to another. Some may find it hard to keep up. And honestly, I did concentrate a bit so as not to get lost on what the characters were trying to do in each of the planets they have visited. They could have simplified the opening plot instead of trying to ram in a lot of scenes and places (… so as not to have an overblown film budget, I think!). I didn’t had time to remember what happened in each of the planets in the first half of the movie… They lost me there several times.
2. The CGI effects of Peter Cushing, who played Tarkin, though well crafted, looks definitely unreal. It threw me off balance and pulled me out of the movie. We all like watching movies because it places us in a dreamworld of make-believe… But with this CGi effect of Tarkin among real humans playing their part in the movie, the dreamworld burst. I am not sure why he needs to appear and talk several times… He is not really needed in the overall plot of the movie.
3. The appearance of Darth Vader was not dramatic enough to make you feel the awe which you have experienced everytime he appears in Series 4, 5, and 6 of Star Wars. In this movie, Darth Vader was inadvertently turned into just an “extra”, a supporting actor, with no “Ooohs” and “Aaahs” from the viewer. Rogue One made Darth Vader “ordinary”… Which shouldn’t be since Darth Vader was and is one of the central characters of Star Wars!
4. The plot is entirely redundant of the past Star Wars plots. Yes, you guessed it right… It’s another “how to destroy death star” story. The story is very simple and I can say it in three words, “Get the plan…!'” That’s it! Unfortunately, all the heroes died in retrieving the plan on how to destroy the death star which brings me to my last item;
5. One thing I liked the most is the CGI they made for Princess Leia… It was a short appearance but I was really taken by it making me want to watch Star Wars 4, New Hope. The ending brought me back to the events “before” Darth Vader captured Leia’s ship. One thing that they may have forgotten… to have a scene how C3PO and R2D2 ended up inside Leia’s ship. Both of these most-loved android of Star Wars only had a few seconds of dialogue in the middle of the movie.
How will I rate Rogue One? Out of 10, I’ll rate it 6.